Friday, May 15, 2009

I Love My Husband, But....

...the conversation is getting dull. Is this suppose to happen after only four years of marriage? We've had a series of not so good dates lately...one of them we even resulted to just going grocery shopping without the kids..yawn. So for our latest date we decided before hand that we weren't going to do anything that didn't require interaction with eachother (i.e. movies) and it went much better. We went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (Major Major Yum!) and then we decided to play games over at the school. We played pool, ping pong, etc. The conversation was better, this time..But my point in posting is that Kimball came up with a good idea I wanted to share. He suggested that He and I ought to try out having a form of a book club just between ourselves where we both read a book then discuss.  I thought it was a great idea and we are now reading our first mutual book, my friend Gretchen suggested Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which Kimball really enjoyed. So far the book is good.. but I'm hoping this little activity will give us some reprieve from discussing the density of butter!

Preview this book

6 comments:

Lana said...

we always end up talking about the kids....
or the move....

Kimball's idea is a good one, funny timing, R has been reading the Twlight books, he's on 4, and we've had a lot to talk about lately...all vampire related but it's nice break from "who is in trouble and how much is that going to cost?" that we sometimes get stuck in.

Carlye said...

That's such a good idea! The only problem is I think I would have to read a chemistry book . . cause that's all Tim has time to read.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

that is a good idea when we read the same book it is so nice to discuss our different views, I was surprised how entertained I was by DGHDA we did it years ago for book club

Colleen said...

We enjoy conversation, especially about out future or Jackson, but what we really enjoy is doing active things together, like we used to be on an indoor soccer team together or go hiking, boating or camping. Then we have experiences we can laugh and talk about.

I like the book club idea, but I know that wouldn't work for Ben and me. He has too much reading to do and isn't interested in reading anything else. He likes a good conversation, but isn't a read for enjoyment person. Reading for information is his thing, and I'd have to read a med book if I wanted to do that. YUCK, no thanks.

Emily said...

I can't even imagine not having anything to talk about with Kris. we mesh so well that it's never hard. but then again if you were a med student you could both talk about necrotic wounds or something. ew! the book idea sounds like a good conversation starter though. so he picked this book, the next book should be your choice. you should totally pick something girly like chocolat. ha ha ha ha!

Kathy said...

We have been married or 7 years and I am hear to say it is unfortunate but it does get boring sometimes. But I think that is the normal cause if then we have to make a decision, do we put no effort into it and then get dull etc ( I think so people get caught up in this trap) OR we can decided (like yall did) that we are going to do something about it. Yall are awesome! Sometimes we have to work at our relationships. Hope all that makes sense.